3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2015 7:34 PM by Alexandre Rancher

Why wasn't this technology discussed during the MCB in China?

I accidentally found this video on Youtube and it has been posted since 2010!
      Why didn't any Chinese company look for a collaboration during the MCB last November to make it come true as soon as possible?
      I would like to hear your opinions Jean-François Bruneau, Marc-André Tessier Alexandre Rancher Émilien Hirth Anthony Le Bleis Hugo Bois
      China straddling bus [English computer voice over] the only English copy - YouTube

• Re: Why wasn't this technology discussed during the MCB in China?

Love this video, I'm not an engineer but I guess the 7 meters between the rails is THE problem considering the turns...

And if it was THE solution for China, I guess it would be already implemented...

Another crazy and impossible invention...

Alexandre Echalier

I totally agree with Hugo Bois ! It a beautiful project but it's still a dream.

First I think that you cannot implement it everywhere even in China!

Then there is a huge problem of security. I mean there is a visibility issue under the bus especially if you have more than 2 traffic lanes... And what about the relative velocity effect ?! It should increase accident. Finally it may be to expensive. How

financing it ?

Well I think this project could only work in a 100% autonomous car world.

Another video about straddling bus

Alexandre Rancher

As Alexandre Echalier stated, I'm just concerned about 1) security, 2) profitability and 3) adaptability.

In terms of security since it would require the people to get use to drive under such a huge structure! Not to mention the illusion of reduced speed while underneath it. Furthermore the fact that if it stops in front of you, even if you know you can go underneath it, you may unconsciously brake or try to avoid it by turning, causing potential accidents. Before settling such a project, I think social acceptance and compatibility studies need to be conducted.

For profitability, this solution would require such heavy infrastructure and huge amount of energy... What would be the return on investments?

And finally, it would require that the city would have the adequate space to welcome such a 'monster-like bus' without consequences that were not planned (Nothing to do with our discussion but I remember the Airbus A380 that stuck one of its wings in a building - the airport infrastructures were not adapted to welcome the new bird -).

But the concept is great though.