4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2015 4:16 PM by Philippe Baronti

After WIFI everywhere the LIFI seems safer, even more in a confine environment such as a car !

Philippe Baronti

I just discovered LIFI technology, supposed to replace, at least WIFI technology. I am not an expert and would like comments from those who are but WIFI is presented as "risky". In your house you can receive a lot of WIFI spot (neighborhood), no way to avoid. In the car, which is a confined environment we can also be exposed to different source like the one from your GPS and your telephone and I imagine that wireless technologies will not be reduced. So I vote for lower emission technologies.

Thank you for your lightened comments.

• Re: After WIFI everywhere the LIFI seems safer, even more in a confine environment such as a car !

I'm not a super expert but I know there is a lot of investment in this technology.

Unlike Wi-fi which is based on radio frequency waves, Li-fi is based on LED technology (light) or infra-red and near ultraviolet.

We still don't really know the bad effect of wi-fi but let us imagine that is kind of a wave cloud unlike Li-fi wich is more like a straight physical "wave", light.

So it is more secure (straight connection) and more "healthy". Companies are working on that to implement it on connected highways, convoys of semi-autonomous vehicles, connected cars...

Hope we'll have more information from real experts.

Thank you for raising this research area Philippe Baronti

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: After WIFI everywhere the LIFI seems safer, even more in a confine environment such as a car !
            Didier Rougeyron

This technology seems promising but the future of LI-FI is not insured. Li-Fi is energy efficient because it uses lighting. At level of risks I don't know (we are waiting for the experts...) but at network security level, instead of radio waves (WiFi), the light does not pass through the walls, and so it's difficult to enjoy the network without the knowledge of the owner.

One can imagine using this system for communication between two vehicles on the highway: recent car headlights can be LEDs.

I am not an expert, neither do I . But according to physical evidences : light and radio waves are the same physical phenomenon, only the wave lenght is different, or the frequency . And we all know the light propagation : in straight lines, without obstacles . So if you have a Li-Fi box in your living, for sure  your neighborhood will not see it, but you will neither do in your kitchen or you room ...Outside, it will be sensible to ambient light, to smoke ...I have doubt about reliability

Philippe Baronti

Thanks Eric.

In fact Li-Fi will not REPLACE Wi-Fi but it can substitute/complement to Wi-Fi in some cases with many advantages.

I understand that Li-Fi is taking benefit of LED that can switch on & Off a million times per second, which theoritically correspond to 1Gb per sec.

The main advantages of Li-Fi compared to Wi-Fi are:

1° Li-Fi enables 30 times more flow than Wi-Fi

2° Because light doesn't go through walls it is safer because your neighbor will not be able to connect

3° It seems to have no impact on health (just light) compare to Wi-Fi reputation.

Of course there are many issues like for new tech, such as :

1° It is mono directional (you can just send not receive)

2° It is limited to direct connections, so the room must be well equipped with the LED

Markets and markets (American company) estimates the potential Li-Fi turnover around 4Billions USD in 2018 ...