6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2016 7:59 AM by Bénédicte Meurisse

What does the future of urban mobility hold ?

Victor Fontaine

"Cities are constantly evolving and moving – sometimes with positive effects for residents and at other times with serious negative effects on human and environmental health. The world’s cities are facing an urgent set of challenges when it comes to ensuring that fundamental right of urban living: mobility."

urban-mobility.jpg

In this article, the author exposed his point of view on the greatest challenges of urban mobility which are:

- Adoption and adaptation of technological advances

- Funding, intelligent policies, and business-model innovations

- Adoption of multi-modal transportation models

- Adoption of new and updated traffic laws

- Digitising public transit systems, new mobility-on-demand models and implementation of Mobility as a Service (MaaS) action plans

In response to those challenges, he identifies technological trends to take in account :

- In vehicle connectivity

- Electrification

- Autonomous driving

- E-hailing : uber models

- walking and bycicling

- urban planning implications

We can see here again that government policies has a key role in mobility changes as Christian Smith explained in his previous article.

This article draw the big picture of urban mobility. In regards of those challenges, which is the bigger one according to you ? And which technological solution will help the most ?

Anthony Le Bleis Quentin ElixanderJérôme Petitjean Didier RougeyronJean-Marc Cogniard Michelle Vuillerot xuan LIU

Sources : https://sourceable.net/urban-mobility-future-hold/

• Re: What does the future of urban mobility hold ?
          Bénédicte Meurisse

In my opinion, the main challenge is the one related to the "Adoption of multi-modal transportation models", .....but this challenge also includes, according to me, the "implementation of Mobility as a service".There are not two independent challenges...insofar as an automobilist is not encouraged to take other transport modes once he has purchased his car... and this is why one has to develop car rental services, and so on.

Dealing with other transport modes, I really hope that investments will be done in favour of walking and bycicling!

Michelle Vuillerot

from what I gather by reading the article the legal issues are extremely important. In my view they are particularly because they establish the limits and therefore also the aspirations of users. When they see for example that speeding is neither possible nor allowed, they may turn to other role models. But as long as there is a large ambiguity about the desirability of speed, then automakers and other economic sectors will continue to tap into this opportunity to gain competitive edge.

Victor Fontaine

Thank you Bénédicte Meurisse and Michelle Vuillerot for your comments. You are both right, for example, multimodal mobility services can't become a reality without the incentive of the legal part, the government. As you both said, each challenge is linked to the others. This article draw a good summary on mobility but the question would be : what is the road map to deal with all these challenges ?

Didier Rougeyron

This debate is rich because obviously the issue is very complex! First there is not a single answer, each city has its strengths and limitations. I think the first need is a clear understanding of the issues and objectives. And monitoring over time. It also requires policy-makers and actors including public/ private to harmonize their practices and to serve the general interest. The consumers will have many more ways to get around. They must learn to make trade-offs when it comes to evaluating costs, convenience, service, and time. Trade-offs are inevitable, and surely difficult. For me technology is only a tool box in the service of every local issue.