0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2017 11:23 AM by Jerry Rawlings Mbabali

Ugandan Local mechanic assembled his manual car single-handedly

Jerry Rawlings Mbabali

Moses standing next to his dream car, built and assembled by him.

A local mechanic known as Moses Kayira assembled his own car, which he named ‘Uganda One’.

He attached different parts of other cars and motorcycles to make a fully automated car.

He started his own garage in 1999 and after nine years, he decided to travel to London and pursued a motor assembling course for two years at Blackburn College.

“I had a dream of making my own car one day and it cost me Shs 40m,” he said.

The car took him four years to fully build and complete as it’s shown in the pictures.

“Since we don’t have all the necessary spare parts in Uganda to make a car, I bought materials and transformed them to what I wanted, then started building,” he said.
      He also used the money to buy things like iron sheets, headlights, tyres, gearbox and engine spare parts which comprised of four different types.

The side view of Uganda One car

He named the car Uganda One because it is the first of its kind in Uganda and since believed that, he was the first person to single-handedly assemble a car in the country, unlike the Makerere University team.

He started making the car in 2013 but kept on adding spare parts to give it a face-lift and as well bought all the spare parts from different spare parts dealers in Kampala.

It’s manual with four years and is no different from other cars because if something needs to be replaced, then he goes ahead and replaces it.
      Its oil has to be changed at times and serviced once it reaches every after 4,500kmph and its fuel consumption is normal.

“Someone was willing to give me $3,500 (about Shs 12.6m) but I could not sell it since it was my dream to build such,” he said.

Moses Kayira’s car can reach a speed of 140kmph on a normal road and consumes two litres every eight kilometres.

The rear view of Moses’ car bearing a personalized number plate

The car is comfortable, secure and was built like a rally car with roll bars inside that protect both the driver and the co-driver with manual airbags.

It took him four years to complete the car since he was depending on the little savings from his local garage in Kibuye without any sponsorship or help from Government.

His car is a four-wheel drive and more powerful than the ordinary cars because it even participated at the Nsimbe Estates rally.

He concluded saying, I would like to call on the government to come invest in innovative people like us because it helps in generating more revenue for the country.
      And besides that, they should also honour us to motivate other geniuses out there.

Source: Daily monitor

If African governments were to focus on sponsoring such innovative minds and research, where do you think we could be?

laurence Ullmann

Joseph SemujuCharlette N'Guessan Désirée N'GuessanDavid Aurelie KOUASSImarie-pascale bayeMorgane QuillérouPASCAL N'ZUEPASCAL N'ZUE

Laurent Ferrali