0 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2018 1:20 PM by Joseph Semuju

How Paps Delivery operates in Dakar, Senegal: A look inside with Bamba Lo the founder

Joseph Semuju

French Summary: Paps est une start-up sénégalaise créée en décembre 2015 qui a pour ambition d’ubériser la livraison en Afrique (secteur d\’activité de la livraison last miles). Elle a été créée pour répondre à un besoin simple : pouvoir se faire livrer tout, n’importe quand, par un réseau de livreurs dédié et de très haute qualité. Pour cela, Paps développe une application mobile permettant de mettre en relation des personnes en besoin de livraisons et des livreurs disposés à se charger de ces missions.

Bamba from Paps.jpg

Tell us a little bit about you and what you do?

I am Bamba Lo from Paps. The founder of Paps delivery actually

As the founder, how would you describe the startup Paps?

Paps is an African Mobile app that does extensive deliveries of many commodities within one hour in Dakar. It is a Senegalese start-up created in 2015 aiming to Uberise delivery in Africa (last mile delivery activity sector).

Where did the idea for Paps come from?Bamba from Paps3.jpg

The idea came from an experience that I had with several delivery services that I tried out and I was not satisfied with the longer time taken to fulfill a single delivery. I mean it would take many hours if not days. So I had to think about a possible solution that would do such a service in the minimal time required. I came up with Paps.

When did Paps start?

We launched Paps in September 2016 with the first version that would be used by all the locals on their smartphones followed by a second version that includes several services such as supermarkets, Restaurants and health services.

Bamba from Paps1.jpg

Do you do delivery?

Yes we do. In fact it is one of our core activities. We do it for eCommerces, B2Cs, and B2Bs. Paps was created to answer a simple need to be able to be delivered on-time, by a dedicated network of deliverers and of very high quality.

Which communities do you partner with?

We have three communities we partner with. The supermarkets, restaurants, B2B clients, B2C Clients, and pharmacies.

How many active users do you have now on-board?

At the moment we have Over 10,000 active users. We have opened different channels to take the orders across the city of Dakar. We have the application representing about 20%, Website representing 15%, and the service representing 65%

Who do you compete with?

We compete with all last mile delivery companies. But majorly with Jumia Foods.

How did you raise capital initially for the company?

We did a lot of prospection when we thought it was the moment for that. In fact we were self-funded. But along the way we had to look for capital in order to scale up. So currently we prospected in France, Dubai and cracked a deal with Venture Capital to support our initiative. Read here: PAPS – Venture Capital for Africa

Do you have expansion plans?

Yes we are looking out to expand to the rest of West Africa. Currently we are established in Dakar, Senegal and rolling out fully in the Ivory Coast by the end of this year. Possibly also to one or two other countries in Africa. Readily Available Market: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Dem. Rep. Congo, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Togo

By Joseph Semuju

Community Manager - AMO

African Mobilities Observatory - AMO, MICHELIN.

laurence Ullmann Jerry Rawlings Mbabali marie-pascale baye Kouamé Sylvestre KOUASSI Kouamé Serge KOUAKOU Alwenyi  Catherine Cassidy Siaka Ouattara Krapa